Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies

I was in the mood for baking some cookies, I was sufring in Martha Stewart's Cookies app in my iPad and I decieced to bake old fashioned sugar cookies for my little brother (he's such a sugar-o-holic)!

"A delicate, sugary crust gives way to a soft, chewy cookie in this homespun classic.  
It's sweetness is enhanced by a hint of lemon."

Tips: Use an ordinary plate easel as cookbook or iPad stand.

The recipe called for an electric mixer, but I prefer mixing it by my hands because it called old-fashioned so I want to try out! 
And it was tiring hehe but I enjoyed it, it's a fun baking. 
Mix sugars, lemon zest and butter until pale and fluffy by whisk and then when you start mix eggs and flour use a wooden spoon. 

 Sprinkle tops with sugar.

Ta-da. The smells is so breath-taking, when I ate first bite, I was flying like a little girl playing in the graden at around in the house. I can't explain how delicious it is. 


Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies:
 Adapted from Martha Stewart.

You’ll need:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened
2 large eggs
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.
  • Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
  • Put sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed 30 seconds. Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, and then the lemon juice. Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
  • Scoop dough using a 2-inch ice cream scoop; space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten cookies slightly with a spatula. Sprinkle tops with sanding sugar, then lightly brush with a wet pastry brush; sprinkle with more sanding sugar.
  • Bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. 

1 comment:

Enn said...

looks delicious and easy !!